Strikers make their mark in reserve clash
STRIKERS Gary Cohen and Lee Clarke sharpened up their shooting boots in the Capital League Western Division clash with Potters Bar Town Reserves at Clarence Park on Monday. Cohen started the first team games against Hayes & Yeading and Thurrock
STRIKERS Gary Cohen and Lee Clarke sharpened up their shooting boots in the Capital League Western Division clash with Potters Bar Town Reserves at Clarence Park on Monday.
Cohen started the first team games against Hayes & Yeading and Thurrock before making an impact off the bench to win the decisive penalty kick at Newport County on Saturday.
Clarke has yet to make his mark for the first team this season although did strike home a late penalty in the 2-0 win against Bishop's Stortford.
Cohen opened the scoring early on Monday when he tucked the ball home after Clarke headed at goal following a Rod Hicks free kick.
Clarke then added a second on 22 minutes when he latched on to a cross from the galloping Hicks.
Potters Bar Town struck back with a late reply but City were more concerned about injuries to Cohen and young midfielder Joe Finn. Cohen was taken to hospital with concussion and Finn suffered a bad knee injury. Both players were treated by paramedics at the ground. It is hoped Cohen could get the all-clear to take his place in the first team squad for the FA Cup match with Harlow Town at Clarence Park on Saturday.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
Striker Tegana James, who has been featuring for Welwyn Garden City in recent weeks along with former Saint Chris Haslam, played the second half for City.
St Albans City Reserves: C.Adams, E. Pascoal, K. Birch, K. Asamoah, A. Byfield, J. Cartwright, J. Davidge (S. Bignall 55), J. Finn (S. Hurrell 42), G. Cohen (T. James 46), L.Clarke, R. Hicks, subs; C. Mortimer, I. Effiong.
Former City players Marcel McKie and Nathan Simpson played for the Potters Bar Town first team in their Ryman League defeat to Northwood last week.