Striker named September’s player of the month
- Credit: Archant
John Frendo has been named as September’s player of the month.
The Harpenden Construction Limited sponsored award will be presented to Frendo prior to Saturday’s third qualifying round FA Cup tie against Tonbridge Angels by Tom Norman, who sponsored last month’s prize.
The former Hitcin Town striker went the first five games of the campaign without a goal but his season came to life on September 2 at his old stomping ground, Top Field. Frendo calmly slotted the ball into the net to give St Albans City a 16th minute lead. The game may have ended 1-1 but it announced the arrival of Frendo’s goalscoring exploits.
In the very next game, just five days later, Saints’ fans got what they had been hoping for, and a whole lot more, when Frendo signed in the summer. Frome Town had no answer for him as he scored four goals in a 5-2 win.
Another goal and an assit saw Frendo help St Albans to a first qualifying round FA Cup win over Enfield Town and he repeated the feat in the next round as City beat Billericay Town 2-0. Plus he scored an injury-time goal in a 2-1 loss to Stourbridge.
You may also want to watch:
All in alll, the prolific striker, who won last year’s Southern League golden boot, scored eight times in September.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report