Striker named September’s player of the month
- Credit: Archant
John Frendo has been named as September’s player of the month.
The Harpenden Construction Limited sponsored award will be presented to Frendo prior to Saturday’s third qualifying round FA Cup tie against Tonbridge Angels by Tom Norman, who sponsored last month’s prize.
The former Hitcin Town striker went the first five games of the campaign without a goal but his season came to life on September 2 at his old stomping ground, Top Field. Frendo calmly slotted the ball into the net to give St Albans City a 16th minute lead. The game may have ended 1-1 but it announced the arrival of Frendo’s goalscoring exploits.
In the very next game, just five days later, Saints’ fans got what they had been hoping for, and a whole lot more, when Frendo signed in the summer. Frome Town had no answer for him as he scored four goals in a 5-2 win.
Another goal and an assit saw Frendo help St Albans to a first qualifying round FA Cup win over Enfield Town and he repeated the feat in the next round as City beat Billericay Town 2-0. Plus he scored an injury-time goal in a 2-1 loss to Stourbridge.
You may also want to watch:
All in alll, the prolific striker, who won last year’s Southern League golden boot, scored eight times in September.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans