Striders wrap up mid week title
- Credit: Archant
STRIDERS wrapped up the Statons Midweek Road Race Division One crown in Stevenage ahead of the final round in St Albans.
With the penultimate race of the season in the books Striders men’s and women’s teams have built up an unassailable 13-point lead over second-placed Trent Park.
Last week’s race was hosted by North Herts Road Runners. It followed an undulating 10k course along Stevenage’s cycle paths and also incorporated a long section through Fairlands Valley Park.
With 79 Striders taking part, sisters Victoria and Wendy Webster led the Striders’ women’s team, coming first and fourth overall. The rest of their winning team were Claire Kremer (seventh), Jenny Maddocks (ninth), Zoe Lowe (15th), Helen Cartlidge (16th), Wendy Walsh (21st) and Jennifer Conway (26th).
The men’s winning team out of a field of 198 runners comprised Gary Warren (ninth), Jonathan Scott (11th), Blake Vivian (14th), Mark Castleton (16th), Simon Speirs (18th), Joe Dunn (25th), Mark Taplin (26th), Pablo Plaza Lastras (27th), Cameron Keast (35th), Craig Dowie (36th), Simon Fraser (57th) and Peter McDermott (58th).
The last race in the Road Race League series will be hosted by St Albans Striders on home turf on July 9.
On Friday Doug Hobson and Darran Purnell competed in the John O’Callaghan Memorial five mile race in Luton, finishing 30th (33mins 45secs) and 77th (41mins 3secs) respectively.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 'Entertaining and moving' dark comedy After Electra coming to the Abbey Theatre stage
- 8 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 9 Local estate agent to sponsor Chelsea Flower Show garden
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
Graham Smith was in action on Sunday, coming 12th overall in the Watlington Cross Country 10k in a time of 47mins 42 secs.
St Albans Striders meet at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the trackside building in Verulamium Park. Information about the club is available from www.stalbansstriders.com