Striders wrap up mid week title
- Credit: Archant
STRIDERS wrapped up the Statons Midweek Road Race Division One crown in Stevenage ahead of the final round in St Albans.
With the penultimate race of the season in the books Striders men’s and women’s teams have built up an unassailable 13-point lead over second-placed Trent Park.
Last week’s race was hosted by North Herts Road Runners. It followed an undulating 10k course along Stevenage’s cycle paths and also incorporated a long section through Fairlands Valley Park.
With 79 Striders taking part, sisters Victoria and Wendy Webster led the Striders’ women’s team, coming first and fourth overall. The rest of their winning team were Claire Kremer (seventh), Jenny Maddocks (ninth), Zoe Lowe (15th), Helen Cartlidge (16th), Wendy Walsh (21st) and Jennifer Conway (26th).
The men’s winning team out of a field of 198 runners comprised Gary Warren (ninth), Jonathan Scott (11th), Blake Vivian (14th), Mark Castleton (16th), Simon Speirs (18th), Joe Dunn (25th), Mark Taplin (26th), Pablo Plaza Lastras (27th), Cameron Keast (35th), Craig Dowie (36th), Simon Fraser (57th) and Peter McDermott (58th).
The last race in the Road Race League series will be hosted by St Albans Striders on home turf on July 9.
On Friday Doug Hobson and Darran Purnell competed in the John O’Callaghan Memorial five mile race in Luton, finishing 30th (33mins 45secs) and 77th (41mins 3secs) respectively.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 3 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 6 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 9 Call for hosepipe ban to protect River Ver
- 10 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
Graham Smith was in action on Sunday, coming 12th overall in the Watlington Cross Country 10k in a time of 47mins 42 secs.
St Albans Striders meet at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the trackside building in Verulamium Park. Information about the club is available from www.stalbansstriders.com