Striders take MRRL triumph in their stride
RUNNING: THE St Albans Striders celebrated a resounding victory in the Midweek Road Race League last week.
The club topped the table from the first race in Stevenage back in May and maintained their position in subsequent 10k races in Welwyn Garden City and Harlow. Victory was sealed at the final race in St Albans last Thursday.
The seven-mile race started on King Harry Lane and was run on an undulating loop towards Bedmond, finishing back on the green by Waitrose. Against clubs from Herts, Essex and North London, the Striders were the top team to finish and also took individual victories in the men’s and women’s race.
Strider Paul Adams won the race overall with a comfortable lead in a time of 38.12. Club-mates Simon Riley (39.04) and Jonathan Scott (39.10) followed in second and third place with Pablo Lastras (40.07) and Mike Jubb (40.15) also giving their all to finish in the top 10.
In the women’s race, Strider Lucy Waterlow was victorious in a time of 44.24, followed by Rachel Lee (47.33) in ninth, Zoe Lowe (49.22) 14th and Helen Cartlidge 16th (49.45). In total the club had 59 runners take part who all contributed to the team’s success.
You may also want to watch:
Thursday’s race was hosted by the Striders and was made possible thanks to volunteers from the club who set up the course, marshalled and provided a buffet at the finish for more than 300 hungry runners. Striders chairman Sheryl Norman said: “The league was a fantastic success for the club. What a great team effort from every single person that took part.”
n For more information on the Striders, visit www.stalbansstriders.com
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 9 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 10 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'