Striders start defence with two first places
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders started their defence of the Midweek Road Race League with four first places in the Stevenage 10k.
The men’s and women’s team finished top of the pile in both the senior and veteran age groups.
The first Strider home was Blake Vivian, finishing seventh in 35 minutes, ahead of Steve Buckle in 8th in 35:08. Making up the winning team were Si Fraser (12th), Graham Smith (15th), Peter Crowdell (16th), Joe Dunn (22nd), Andy Auld (26th), Nairn McWilliams (27th), Jonathan Scott (29th), Martin Whitworth (30th), David Hope (38th) and Ed Bailey (50th).
Smith, Crowdell, Auld, Whitworth and Bailey also made up the victorious veterans’ team together with Graham Foster (56th).
The Striders’ ladies were led home impressively by Claire Hallissey, who finished in 36:29, three minutes ahead of second placed Victoria Pritchard.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Kremer (6th), Wendy Walsh (7th), Helen Cartlidge (9th), Lucy Martin (14th), Zoe Lowe (15th) and Jenny Maddocks (18th) completed the winning team. Kremer, Walsh, Cartlidge and Lowe made up the winning veterans’ team.
The next league fixture is in St Albans on June 4.
- 1 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
On Sunday, the Wheathampstead 10k was won by Graham Smith in 35:52 with Wendy Webster winning the ladies’ race in 38:55. Wendy Walsh was third lady in 41:46.
Jack Brooks ran the Riga marathon in 3hrs 57mins.