Striders start defence with two first places
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders started their defence of the Midweek Road Race League with four first places in the Stevenage 10k.
The men’s and women’s team finished top of the pile in both the senior and veteran age groups.
The first Strider home was Blake Vivian, finishing seventh in 35 minutes, ahead of Steve Buckle in 8th in 35:08. Making up the winning team were Si Fraser (12th), Graham Smith (15th), Peter Crowdell (16th), Joe Dunn (22nd), Andy Auld (26th), Nairn McWilliams (27th), Jonathan Scott (29th), Martin Whitworth (30th), David Hope (38th) and Ed Bailey (50th).
Smith, Crowdell, Auld, Whitworth and Bailey also made up the victorious veterans’ team together with Graham Foster (56th).
The Striders’ ladies were led home impressively by Claire Hallissey, who finished in 36:29, three minutes ahead of second placed Victoria Pritchard.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Kremer (6th), Wendy Walsh (7th), Helen Cartlidge (9th), Lucy Martin (14th), Zoe Lowe (15th) and Jenny Maddocks (18th) completed the winning team. Kremer, Walsh, Cartlidge and Lowe made up the winning veterans’ team.
The next league fixture is in St Albans on June 4.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
On Sunday, the Wheathampstead 10k was won by Graham Smith in 35:52 with Wendy Webster winning the ladies’ race in 38:55. Wendy Walsh was third lady in 41:46.
Jack Brooks ran the Riga marathon in 3hrs 57mins.