Striders start defence with two first places
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders started their defence of the Midweek Road Race League with four first places in the Stevenage 10k.
The men’s and women’s team finished top of the pile in both the senior and veteran age groups.
The first Strider home was Blake Vivian, finishing seventh in 35 minutes, ahead of Steve Buckle in 8th in 35:08. Making up the winning team were Si Fraser (12th), Graham Smith (15th), Peter Crowdell (16th), Joe Dunn (22nd), Andy Auld (26th), Nairn McWilliams (27th), Jonathan Scott (29th), Martin Whitworth (30th), David Hope (38th) and Ed Bailey (50th).
Smith, Crowdell, Auld, Whitworth and Bailey also made up the victorious veterans’ team together with Graham Foster (56th).
The Striders’ ladies were led home impressively by Claire Hallissey, who finished in 36:29, three minutes ahead of second placed Victoria Pritchard.
Claire Kremer (6th), Wendy Walsh (7th), Helen Cartlidge (9th), Lucy Martin (14th), Zoe Lowe (15th) and Jenny Maddocks (18th) completed the winning team. Kremer, Walsh, Cartlidge and Lowe made up the winning veterans’ team.
The next league fixture is in St Albans on June 4.
- 1 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 2 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 4 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 5 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 6 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 7 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 8 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 9 FULL RESULTS: Lib Dem landslide in St Albans council elections
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Hertfordshire
On Sunday, the Wheathampstead 10k was won by Graham Smith in 35:52 with Wendy Webster winning the ladies’ race in 38:55. Wendy Walsh was third lady in 41:46.
Jack Brooks ran the Riga marathon in 3hrs 57mins.