Striders start defence with two first places
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders started their defence of the Midweek Road Race League with four first places in the Stevenage 10k.
The men’s and women’s team finished top of the pile in both the senior and veteran age groups.
The first Strider home was Blake Vivian, finishing seventh in 35 minutes, ahead of Steve Buckle in 8th in 35:08. Making up the winning team were Si Fraser (12th), Graham Smith (15th), Peter Crowdell (16th), Joe Dunn (22nd), Andy Auld (26th), Nairn McWilliams (27th), Jonathan Scott (29th), Martin Whitworth (30th), David Hope (38th) and Ed Bailey (50th).
Smith, Crowdell, Auld, Whitworth and Bailey also made up the victorious veterans’ team together with Graham Foster (56th).
The Striders’ ladies were led home impressively by Claire Hallissey, who finished in 36:29, three minutes ahead of second placed Victoria Pritchard.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Kremer (6th), Wendy Walsh (7th), Helen Cartlidge (9th), Lucy Martin (14th), Zoe Lowe (15th) and Jenny Maddocks (18th) completed the winning team. Kremer, Walsh, Cartlidge and Lowe made up the winning veterans’ team.
The next league fixture is in St Albans on June 4.
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 County council results by St Albans division in full
- 3 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 4 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 5 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 6 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 7 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?
- 8 Do you remember long-lost St Julian's Farm?
- 9 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 10 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
On Sunday, the Wheathampstead 10k was won by Graham Smith in 35:52 with Wendy Webster winning the ladies’ race in 38:55. Wendy Walsh was third lady in 41:46.
Jack Brooks ran the Riga marathon in 3hrs 57mins.