Striders maintain Midweek Road Race League lead
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders consolidated their lead at the top of the Midweek Road Race League Division One with strong race performances in the 10k race at Royston.
Claire Hallissey led the ladies’ race once again, winning by nearly two minutes in 37:20. The ladies were winners in the team event, too, with Claire Kremer (3rd), Wendy Walsh (8th), Helen Cartlidge (10th), Jenny Maddocks (12th), Lucy Martin (14th), Mercedes Getino-Gordon (25th) and Claire Hobson (28th) making up the team.
The veterans’ team of Kremer, Walsh, Cartlidge and Maddocks also won the day.
Paul Adams won the men’s race in 33:13, with the team made up by Blake Vivian (4th), Si Fraser (7th), Peter Crowdell (10th, 3rd vet 40), Graham Smith (18th), David Hope (23rd), Nairn McWilliams (25th), Martin Whitworth (26th), Graham Foster (31st), Andy Auld (32nd), Gary Warren (40th) and Ed Bailey (49th).
The team was edged into second place on the night by Trent Park, but the men’s veterans’ team of Crowdell, Smith, Whitworth, Foster, Auld and Warren won their race comfortably.
You may also want to watch:
With one race to go, Striders are now well-placed to top both men’s and ladies’ seniors and veterans leagues.
Elsewhere, Jack Brooks ran the Mayo Midnight Marathon in the Yukon, Canada in 4 hours 20 minutes and Paul Sowter and James Smith ran the South Downs Trail Half Marathon in one hour 42 minutes.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans