Striders battle the heat
- Credit: Archant
There was no let up in the weather over the weekend as members of St Albans Striders battled the heat to compete in a number of events.
On Saturday at the Dorney Dash 10k, Graham Foster came 37th in 39mins 14secs, good for third vet 50, Craig Dowie came 53rd in 40mins 52secs and Graham Smith was 139th in 46mins 10secs.
Also on Saturday Doug Hobson won the Gibside park run and Wendy Walsh completed a 3,000m track race in 11mins 36secs.
On Sunday there was a strong performance by the club at the Down Tow Up Flow off-road half marathon, which goes from Windsor to Marlow. There were plenty of gates to go through on the course as well as cattle to avoid in some of the fields.
In spite of this Graham Smith was fifth overall and first vet40 with a time of 1hr 22mins, Martin Whitworth came ninth overall and second vet 40 in 1hr 24mins, Wendy Walsh was 36th overall, sixth female and third vet 35 in 1hr 33mins and Noran McGovern finished in 2hrs 23mins.
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the Striders, visit www.stalbansstriders.com
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'