Stormy Saints blow Beckenham away
- Credit: Archant
OA Saints made a happy return to Woollams with a 17-5 victory over Beckenham Ladies.
Two tries from Claire McKenna and one from Robyn King gave Saints the win against a Beckenham side who started the day second in the league.
Despite the cloudy skies on Sunday, the rain stayed away.
However, there was no respite for the visitors who suffered a stormy first 40 minutes.
After a cagey opening, Saints took the lead on 22 minutes when King found space and went over in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
And despite an enforced reshuffle in the Saints backline, as scrum-half Nicky Cameron went off for a head injury assessment, they grabbed a second soon after.
This time McKenna, King’s partner in the centres, scored in the opposite corner.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
She got her second before half-time, the score being converted by King.
Beckenham’s coaches must have had some strong words for their team at half-time and they came out raring to go.
Saints kept their composure under increased Beckenham pressure, but despite several good breaks by the forwards were unable to convert their pressure into points.
Beckenham finished the game off with a score in the corner, mauling the ball over the line from 10 metres out.
Saints’ next match is away to league-leaders Blackheath on November 29, with Romford & Gidea the next visitors to Woollams on December 13.
The Saints are also on the lookout for new players. Any woman, aged 18 and over, are welcome to come down to training on a Monday or Wednesday evening at Woollams.
The Junior Saints (U13 up to U18) also train there on a Wednesday evening.
New players of all ages and ability will be warmly welcomed and no experience is needed.
For more details see the facebook page, www.facebook.com/oa.saints