Steve Buckle races to narrow loss but in fastest ever time at Bedford
- Credit: Archant
Steve Buckle led the way for St Albans Striders when a contingent headed north to Bedford for a half marathon.
He battled Robert Barnes of Stopsley Striders around the course, just being pipped to the line for second.
However, his time of one hour 14 minutes 32 seconds in the nearly 800-strong field equalled his personal best.
Another 10 Striders also ran in the race. Stacey Harris finished in the top 10 women in a time of 1:37:00 and Ruth Kent achieved a PB of 1:43:31.
Elsewhere Ali Hills ran a 10K PB of 48:29 at Victoria Park Santa Run in aid of the UK Sepsis Trust.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile the cross-country season is well underway.
Saturday saw the third match of the Chiltern League with the Striders’ men finishing third and the women in fourth.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
And the second round of the Sunday Cross Country League took place at Trent Park with the Striders aiming to improve on their fifth place in round one.