Stephen Lewton sets Aldwickbury course record in Jamega Tour win
- Credit: Archant
A FLAWLESS first round from Stephen Lewton set a new course record en route to a three-shot victory in the Jamega Tour event staged at Aldwickbury Park Golf Club.
The seven-under score of 64 smashed the previous course record by three shots and led the field of tour professionals overnight, but Lewton’s lead looked short-lived after two bogeys early in his final round on the 18-hole Park Course – designed by former Ryder Cup star and BBC commentator Ken Brown.
However, the 30-year-old recovered his form adding five birdies to his card to complete the tournament with a 36-hole total of 134 for victory.
Roberto Laino, netted three birdies in his final three holes to climb the leaderboard and take the runner-up spot on his own just one shot ahead of a trio of golfers tied for third.
Aldwicbury Park – part of BGL Golf, the UK’s leading golf course owner and operator – has hosted the Jamega Tour – the first stepping stone in tournament golf and a feeder to the European Challenge Tour, the second tier of the lucrative European Tour – on three occasions.
Andrew Shewbridge, Aldwickbury Park Golf Club general manager, said: “We have had a lot of positive feedback from the pros about the course, which is much appreciated. The greenkeeping team works tirelessly all year round to maintain our facilities, and it’s rewarding to hear the praise from tournament organisers and players alike.
“On behalf of all the staff at Aldwickbury Park, I’d like to congratulate Stephen on his win and for his emphatic breaking of our course record – it was a superb display of golf.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
To find out more about Aldwickbury Park Golf Club visit www.aldwickburyparkgolfclub.co.uk, call 01582 760112 or follow @aldwickburygolf on Twitter.