Staines rack up 77 points against St Albans
Staines crossed the whitewash 11 times in a 77-7 rout of St Albans on Saturday.
This was the first encounter in recent times between the two clubs, and from St Albans’ standpoint, not one they would care to repeat until they improve their overall game.
From the outset Staines took command, and it was evident to all that they are a well-drilled and disciplined side with no shortage of talent. Within the first two minutes Saints found themselves seven points down when, following a lineout, the clearance kick was charged down.
The pattern of the afternoon was set, the ball being lost by St Albans and Staines taking full advantage of any error. The rest of the game was a lesson in team play, with the excellent Staines fly-half, Alex Newberry, running the show.
The match was played a pace with Staines finding attacking opportunities whenever they had possession and St Albans struggling to contain a team who will be looking to return to higher echelons of London League rugby at the earliest opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
There was encouragement for St Albans who did score a smart try when scrum half Heemi Peina took a quick tap penalty and sent Jeza Walmsley on his way for a touchdown that Harry Trude converted.
To their credit Saints did not give in but were unable to match an extremely competent Staines side who ran out 77-7 winners.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 City centre pub opens new roof garden
This Saturday, St Albans host in form Norwich in the Intermediate Cup and will be looking give an improved performance against a team they beat in the corresponding fixture last season.