STAGS qualify for national final
CROSS COUNTRY: THE St Albans Girls School’s Year Seven clinched a place in the National Final of the English Schools Cross Country Cup after a third place finish at the regional event last Saturday.
The event, held at Woollams Playing Fields, saw 13 teams battling it out for three qualifying places.
The STAGS girls got away well and were strong in the usual jostling for positions that happens at the start. The girls were to try and stay in sight of each other around the course and work off their team mates and they did this exceptionally well with little clusters of STAGS girls scattered throughout the pack.
The team remained strong throughout the race and finished well. After a nail biting wait the organisers announced that they had clinched the third qualifying place and had earned a place in the final in Northumberland on Saturday, December 4.
This is a truly fantastic achievement for such a young team, who are growing in confidence with every race. The girls are excited at the prospect of a ‘road trip’ to the North East for what will be a valuable experience.
You may also want to watch:
Thanks must go to Debbie Steer and her team who have worked hard with the girls since September in preparing them for races such as these, and to the parents of the girls for supporting them in all of their races.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets