STAGS duo pair win Sainsbury’s gold
- Credit: Archant
STAGS students Lucy Day and Amy Platten returned from the Sainsbury’s School Games with gold medals draped around their necks.
Talented year 11 STAGS pupil Lucy Day and Amy Platten in year 9 proudly represented England and each won a gold medal at the Sainsbury’s Games Judo championship Under 57kg and under 44kg categories held in Manchester at the commonwealth games facilities 5th - 7th September.
Amy, in Year 9, displayed some exceptional judo techniques, beating all her opponents in the under-44kg category by an ippon. In the final contest, she won with an arm lock.
“It was my first competition against under 18s so to win all my fights with ippon and one with an armlock was amazing,” she said.
In previous tournaments Amy was not permitted to use an arm lock, so it was thrilling for her to be able to apply the use of that technical skill in order to beat her opponent!
You may also want to watch:
Year 11 student Lucy progressed safely through her contests as the top placed competitor, beating some highly capable players with a mix of ippon throws and powerful hold-downs. Her gold medal was finally secured when her opponent submitted after Lucy applied a strangle.
Lucy said: “I was so pleased with my gold medal after returning from injury, and I’m very grateful to all the coaches, physios and supporters who have helped me back to top level judo.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
Both train hard at Redbridge Judo Club every week and Lucy has also been lucky to benefit from additional support on the Hertfordshire Talented Athlete Programme at the University of Hertfordshire.