STAGS duo pair win Sainsbury’s gold
- Credit: Archant
STAGS students Lucy Day and Amy Platten returned from the Sainsbury’s School Games with gold medals draped around their necks.
Talented year 11 STAGS pupil Lucy Day and Amy Platten in year 9 proudly represented England and each won a gold medal at the Sainsbury’s Games Judo championship Under 57kg and under 44kg categories held in Manchester at the commonwealth games facilities 5th - 7th September.
Amy, in Year 9, displayed some exceptional judo techniques, beating all her opponents in the under-44kg category by an ippon. In the final contest, she won with an arm lock.
“It was my first competition against under 18s so to win all my fights with ippon and one with an armlock was amazing,” she said.
In previous tournaments Amy was not permitted to use an arm lock, so it was thrilling for her to be able to apply the use of that technical skill in order to beat her opponent!
Year 11 student Lucy progressed safely through her contests as the top placed competitor, beating some highly capable players with a mix of ippon throws and powerful hold-downs. Her gold medal was finally secured when her opponent submitted after Lucy applied a strangle.
Lucy said: “I was so pleased with my gold medal after returning from injury, and I’m very grateful to all the coaches, physios and supporters who have helped me back to top level judo.”
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
Both train hard at Redbridge Judo Club every week and Lucy has also been lucky to benefit from additional support on the Hertfordshire Talented Athlete Programme at the University of Hertfordshire.