St Peter’s slip up
HSCL Division One Bedmond S&S 2 St Peter s 1 ST PETER S conceded two first half goals as they slipped to their sixth league defeat of the season at Bedmond S&S. Despite the recent poor weather the pitch was in good shape allowing both sides to play good f
HSCL Division One
Bedmond S&S 2 St Peter's 1
ST PETER'S conceded two first half goals as they slipped to their sixth league defeat of the season at Bedmond S&S.
Despite the recent poor weather the pitch was in good shape allowing both sides to play good football.
The hosts broke the deadlock on 10 minutes when Saints goalkeeper Billy Barnes was penalised for hauling down an opposition player with Bedmond converting the spot kick.
The Saints missed out on a possible equaliser when Gary Stuart-Neal headed wide.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 3 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 4 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 5 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 6 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 8 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 9 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 10 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
This miss was to prove costly as the Saints failed to close down a Bedmond attacker and he doubled the home side's advantage.
The end-to-end action continued after the interval keeping both 'keepers busy with both sides ruing erratic finishing.
Richard Ellis hit the bar and Danny Blyth hit an upright with the follow up as the Saints looked for a way back into the game.
Bedmond could have added a third but their striker inexplicably missed with the goal gaping and the Saints ensured Bedmond would endure a nervous last 10 minutes when Ellis fired into the top corner to cut the deficit.
In a frantic finish the Saints forced a number of corners but were unable to find a second goal.
This weekend the Saints travel to Buntingford Town (KO 2.30pm).
St Peter's: Barnes; Mardle, T Gauthier, Hatchett, Wiltshire; Eames, Stuart-Neal, Jones (M Gauthier), Blyth; Lee (Laffoley), Ellis. Sub not used: Stevens.