St Peter’s make it five straight wins
Savory hits second half winner
HSCL Division One
St Peter’s 2 Whitwell AFC 1
ST PETER’S recent good run of form continued with a deserved 2-1 victory over promotion rivals Whitwell AFC.
The Saints have taken maximum points from their last five fixtures, all at home, enabling them to maintain third spot in the league table with the top two within striking distance.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday’s clash was played at a fast pace and after spurning several openings it was the home side who broke the deadlock. Michael Davies found himself clear on goal and he made no mistake with an excellent shot past the goalkeeper to open his account for the campaign.
The lead didn’t last long though as the visitors struck an immediate reply, breaking clear and beating goalkeeper Billy Barnes despite the ‘keeper’s best efforts.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
The Saints looked the most likely to score in the second half but continued to be denied by the ‘keeper and some wayward shooting.
They did however get their just reward 20 minutes from time when Richard Ellis’ well struck volley was parried and Mark Savory was on hand to head home what proved to be the winner.
The home side continued to dominate the remaining time but were unable to build on their advantage and had to settle for a 2-1 win.
This Saturday the Saints travel to Bedmond S&S (KO 3pm).
St Peter’s: Barnes; Pooley, Wiltshire, Carman, Jones; Davies, Beswick, Ellis (Hood-Wright), Cunningham (Stuart-Neal); Taylor, Savory (Norris). Sub not used: Gauthier.