St Peter’s make it five straight wins
Savory hits second half winner
HSCL Division One
St Peter’s 2 Whitwell AFC 1
ST PETER’S recent good run of form continued with a deserved 2-1 victory over promotion rivals Whitwell AFC.
The Saints have taken maximum points from their last five fixtures, all at home, enabling them to maintain third spot in the league table with the top two within striking distance.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday’s clash was played at a fast pace and after spurning several openings it was the home side who broke the deadlock. Michael Davies found himself clear on goal and he made no mistake with an excellent shot past the goalkeeper to open his account for the campaign.
The lead didn’t last long though as the visitors struck an immediate reply, breaking clear and beating goalkeeper Billy Barnes despite the ‘keeper’s best efforts.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
The Saints looked the most likely to score in the second half but continued to be denied by the ‘keeper and some wayward shooting.
They did however get their just reward 20 minutes from time when Richard Ellis’ well struck volley was parried and Mark Savory was on hand to head home what proved to be the winner.
The home side continued to dominate the remaining time but were unable to build on their advantage and had to settle for a 2-1 win.
This Saturday the Saints travel to Bedmond S&S (KO 3pm).
St Peter’s: Barnes; Pooley, Wiltshire, Carman, Jones; Davies, Beswick, Ellis (Hood-Wright), Cunningham (Stuart-Neal); Taylor, Savory (Norris). Sub not used: Gauthier.