St John Fisher and Wheatfields take District Sports honours
- Credit: Archant
St John Fisher and Wheatfields were the overall victors at the annual St Albans Schools’ District Sports, held at Verulamium running track earlier this month.
St John Fisher secured a clean sweep in the small schools event, winning the overall girls, boys and points awards, as well as the combined title.
In the large schools event, Wheatfields won the overall title, with Fleetville picking up the girls first place and Aboyne Lodge taking the boys and the points awards.
St Peter’s were overall runners up in the small schools, with Fleetville taking overall second in the large schools.
The event saw over 500 children aged between seven and 11 take part across two days, with events ranging from high jump to 600m.
You may also want to watch:
Nina Smith, P.E leader at St John Fisher, spoke of her pride at her team’s success.
“I’m delighted with the children’s achievements, each and every one of them,” she said.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
“A lot of extra time goes into preparing the children for these events and it’s been worth every minute. They have worked hard and it has paid off.”
Recognition also goes to goes to the organiser of the event, Duncan Burgoyne, who has been voluntarily overseeing District Sports for over 20 years.