St John Fisher and Wheatfields take District Sports honours
- Credit: Archant
St John Fisher and Wheatfields were the overall victors at the annual St Albans Schools’ District Sports, held at Verulamium running track earlier this month.
St John Fisher secured a clean sweep in the small schools event, winning the overall girls, boys and points awards, as well as the combined title.
In the large schools event, Wheatfields won the overall title, with Fleetville picking up the girls first place and Aboyne Lodge taking the boys and the points awards.
St Peter’s were overall runners up in the small schools, with Fleetville taking overall second in the large schools.
The event saw over 500 children aged between seven and 11 take part across two days, with events ranging from high jump to 600m.
Nina Smith, P.E leader at St John Fisher, spoke of her pride at her team’s success.
“I’m delighted with the children’s achievements, each and every one of them,” she said.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 5 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 8 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
“A lot of extra time goes into preparing the children for these events and it’s been worth every minute. They have worked hard and it has paid off.”
Recognition also goes to goes to the organiser of the event, Duncan Burgoyne, who has been voluntarily overseeing District Sports for over 20 years.