St John Fisher and Wheatfields take District Sports honours
- Credit: Archant
St John Fisher and Wheatfields were the overall victors at the annual St Albans Schools’ District Sports, held at Verulamium running track earlier this month.
St John Fisher secured a clean sweep in the small schools event, winning the overall girls, boys and points awards, as well as the combined title.
In the large schools event, Wheatfields won the overall title, with Fleetville picking up the girls first place and Aboyne Lodge taking the boys and the points awards.
St Peter’s were overall runners up in the small schools, with Fleetville taking overall second in the large schools.
The event saw over 500 children aged between seven and 11 take part across two days, with events ranging from high jump to 600m.
You may also want to watch:
Nina Smith, P.E leader at St John Fisher, spoke of her pride at her team’s success.
“I’m delighted with the children’s achievements, each and every one of them,” she said.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
“A lot of extra time goes into preparing the children for these events and it’s been worth every minute. They have worked hard and it has paid off.”
Recognition also goes to goes to the organiser of the event, Duncan Burgoyne, who has been voluntarily overseeing District Sports for over 20 years.