St Columbas U10s take national title
ST COLUMBA S Prep School had reason to celebrate this week as their U10 team won the national title at the National Prep Schools Rugby Tournament held at Epsom College. After cruising through the qualifying stages, a 10-5 loss to Shrewsbury House kicked t
ST COLUMBA'S Prep School had reason to celebrate this week as their U10 team won the national title at the National Prep Schools Rugby Tournament held at Epsom College.
After cruising through the qualifying stages, a 10-5 loss to Shrewsbury House kicked the team into life and their recorded win over Dumpton (25-0) and The Croft (20-0). Victories over Cumnor House (5-0) and Yardley Court (15-5) in the quarter and semi-finals set up a clash with Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Wakefield.
After a try-less first half where the Columba's defence was tested by the strong runners from QEGS, a Columba's try mid-way through the second half ignited a thrilling ending as the opposition attacked with their entire might.
The team held on and in fact finished the stronger to record a well-deserved 5-0 win and with it the national title.
The U8s tag team have only lost once this season and they used their strong direct running with great effect to reach the National semi-final but lost out by one try to the eventual winners.
Similarly the U11s pushed the eventual champions in a highly competitive game in the quarter finals but lost out by a single try. They can be proud of their achievements at the tournament as well as the regular season which has also seen them beat only once as well.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 8 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 9 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 'Entertaining and moving' dark comedy After Electra coming to the Abbey Theatre stage
The U9s demonstrated their level of progress over the course of the season and should be pleased with their performances in reaching the last eight of the National competition.