St Albans win inaugural David Gilroy Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Rugby Club’s sevens side, the Voodoo Priests, won the inaugural David Gilroy Cup under the floodlights at Boggymead on Friday.
Sides from Watford, Cheshunt, Welwyn Garden City and Hitchin travelled to St Albans Rugby Club last week to compete in the first Solstice Floodlit 7s tournament, with the victor lifting the Dave Gilroy Memorial Cup.
The games were played under the newly installed match floodlights, part of the RFU’s Lead up to Legacy project, and with support from the county development officer and Herts Referees Society.
Welwyn won pool one and St Albans progressed as winners of pool two, before going on to win the final.
A club spokesman said: “The whole evening was a success on all fronts and a fitting tribute to not only a St Albans, but a Hertfordshire stalwart, David Gilroy. St Albans RFC would like to thank all the teams that entered, everyone that came down to watch and everyone that helped to get the event off the ground at relatively short notice.”
You may also want to watch:
St Albans RFC is actively recruiting new players for the coming season, with their open to all pre-season training starting on the June 18. For more information, visit www.stalbansrugby.com or contact email@example.com.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Coursers Road, London Colney: Trailer flips over
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development