St Albans win inaugural David Gilroy Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Rugby Club’s sevens side, the Voodoo Priests, won the inaugural David Gilroy Cup under the floodlights at Boggymead on Friday.
Sides from Watford, Cheshunt, Welwyn Garden City and Hitchin travelled to St Albans Rugby Club last week to compete in the first Solstice Floodlit 7s tournament, with the victor lifting the Dave Gilroy Memorial Cup.
The games were played under the newly installed match floodlights, part of the RFU’s Lead up to Legacy project, and with support from the county development officer and Herts Referees Society.
Welwyn won pool one and St Albans progressed as winners of pool two, before going on to win the final.
A club spokesman said: “The whole evening was a success on all fronts and a fitting tribute to not only a St Albans, but a Hertfordshire stalwart, David Gilroy. St Albans RFC would like to thank all the teams that entered, everyone that came down to watch and everyone that helped to get the event off the ground at relatively short notice.”
You may also want to watch:
St Albans RFC is actively recruiting new players for the coming season, with their open to all pre-season training starting on the June 18. For more information, visit www.stalbansrugby.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly