St Albans Ladies hit the top spot with win over Letchworth Eagles
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies moved top of Beds & Herts Women’s Division One thanks to a 2-0 success at home to Letchworth Eagles.
They are level on points with Hemel Hempstead Town but a far superior goal difference means the Lady Saints have the advantage with eight games to go.
This game was won despite three of their big-name attackers, Cally and Ellen Salter plus Kayla Johnson, on the bench.
Ellie Lovelock went close early on and Kerry Twigg was also denied by keeper Katie Smith before they went ahead on 26 minutes.
Jess McNamara found Lovelock in the box and good control allowed her to thrash it into the roof of the net.
Cally Salter and Johnson both got into the action in the second half and it was the latter who provided the assist for Millie Guest who found the far left corner.
There were chances after this, notably for McNamara and Johnson but they couldn't add to their total.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 10 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
St Albans host AFC Dunstable on Sunday in the League Cup quarter-final.