St Albans Ladies hit the top spot with win over Letchworth Eagles
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies moved top of Beds & Herts Women’s Division One thanks to a 2-0 success at home to Letchworth Eagles.
They are level on points with Hemel Hempstead Town but a far superior goal difference means the Lady Saints have the advantage with eight games to go.
This game was won despite three of their big-name attackers, Cally and Ellen Salter plus Kayla Johnson, on the bench.
Ellie Lovelock went close early on and Kerry Twigg was also denied by keeper Katie Smith before they went ahead on 26 minutes.
Jess McNamara found Lovelock in the box and good control allowed her to thrash it into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Cally Salter and Johnson both got into the action in the second half and it was the latter who provided the assist for Millie Guest who found the far left corner.
There were chances after this, notably for McNamara and Johnson but they couldn't add to their total.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
St Albans host AFC Dunstable on Sunday in the League Cup quarter-final.