St Albans Ladies hit the top spot with win over Letchworth Eagles
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies moved top of Beds & Herts Women’s Division One thanks to a 2-0 success at home to Letchworth Eagles.
They are level on points with Hemel Hempstead Town but a far superior goal difference means the Lady Saints have the advantage with eight games to go.
This game was won despite three of their big-name attackers, Cally and Ellen Salter plus Kayla Johnson, on the bench.
Ellie Lovelock went close early on and Kerry Twigg was also denied by keeper Katie Smith before they went ahead on 26 minutes.
Jess McNamara found Lovelock in the box and good control allowed her to thrash it into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Cally Salter and Johnson both got into the action in the second half and it was the latter who provided the assist for Millie Guest who found the far left corner.
There were chances after this, notably for McNamara and Johnson but they couldn't add to their total.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
St Albans host AFC Dunstable on Sunday in the League Cup quarter-final.