St Albans trio enjoy success in premier European cycling tour
- Credit: Archant
Three boys from St Albans have taken part in one of Europe’s major multi-stage cycling events for youth riders.
Oliver Stockwell, Joe Bennett and Archie Peet were part of the Welwyn Wheelers squad who travelled to Assen in the Netherlands for the European Junior Cycling Tour.
The trio, who are all students at Verulam School, raced in the U17 age category alongside riders from across Europe and beyond.
The tour is made up of six stages, including a prologue, two criterium races, a time trial and a 78km road race, most of which include sections of gruelling cobbles.
The boys all had individual successes, with Stockwell claiming 10th in the time trial and 11th in the “Omloop” circuit race and Peet taking second in the final day criterium.
Overall Stockwell was 12th, Bennett 37th and Peet 75th out of the 146 starters.
That placed them second, fourth and 15th out of the British contingent.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival