St Albans trio enjoy success in premier European cycling tour
- Credit: Archant
Three boys from St Albans have taken part in one of Europe’s major multi-stage cycling events for youth riders.
Oliver Stockwell, Joe Bennett and Archie Peet were part of the Welwyn Wheelers squad who travelled to Assen in the Netherlands for the European Junior Cycling Tour.
The trio, who are all students at Verulam School, raced in the U17 age category alongside riders from across Europe and beyond.
The tour is made up of six stages, including a prologue, two criterium races, a time trial and a 78km road race, most of which include sections of gruelling cobbles.
The boys all had individual successes, with Stockwell claiming 10th in the time trial and 11th in the “Omloop” circuit race and Peet taking second in the final day criterium.
You may also want to watch:
Overall Stockwell was 12th, Bennett 37th and Peet 75th out of the 146 starters.
That placed them second, fourth and 15th out of the British contingent.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public