St Albans trio enjoy success in premier European cycling tour
- Credit: Archant
Three boys from St Albans have taken part in one of Europe’s major multi-stage cycling events for youth riders.
Oliver Stockwell, Joe Bennett and Archie Peet were part of the Welwyn Wheelers squad who travelled to Assen in the Netherlands for the European Junior Cycling Tour.
The trio, who are all students at Verulam School, raced in the U17 age category alongside riders from across Europe and beyond.
The tour is made up of six stages, including a prologue, two criterium races, a time trial and a 78km road race, most of which include sections of gruelling cobbles.
The boys all had individual successes, with Stockwell claiming 10th in the time trial and 11th in the “Omloop” circuit race and Peet taking second in the final day criterium.
You may also want to watch:
Overall Stockwell was 12th, Bennett 37th and Peet 75th out of the 146 starters.
That placed them second, fourth and 15th out of the British contingent.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 9 All aboard the Blue Tangerine Café for vital work experience
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space