St Albans toppled by Hemel’s home-field advantage
- Credit: Archant
Hemel Hempstead handled the elements better in their win over St Albans, according to Saints coach Garry Boost.
A try from debutant Sam Millicheap and three penalties from captain Mark Kentish gave St Albans a 14-0 lead at Hemel’s Chaulden Lane ground on Saturday. But, assisted by the wind and the slope of the pitch, the hosts fought back to win 20-17. For a full match report, see online.
Speaking after the game, Boost said: “Hemel chose to kick against the wind and up the slope in the first half. We said it was a 15-point wind before the game and we went in 14-0 up; it wasn’t enough.
“We didn’t play to the elements in the first half. We were trying to run it when we should have been kicking and making them play in their own 22. We looked the far better side but we played the elements incorrectly.”
St Albans will aim to get back to winning ways then they take on UCS Old Boys at Boggymead on Saturday. Saints won the first meeting 39-13.
“We’re confident heading into the game but anything can happen on the day; just look at the Hemel game,” said Boost before explaining that St Albans will have to reproduce the same brand of patient rugby that won them the first match against UCS Old Boys.
“We will have to take care of the ball and wait for gaps to open. Our performance at UCS was one of the best away displays of the season so we’ll be looking for much of the same.”
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 3 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 4 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 5 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 6 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 10 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road