St Albans thrash Dereham; 8ths earn promotion
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s men’s 1st team smashed Dereham 8-1 at Oaklands on Saturday, putting them joint second in the East League Premier Division.
The crushing victory came thanks to goals from Adam Jones (two), Jacob Langley, Matthew Davey, Mark Lowden, Steve Friend, James Champion and Alex Spencer and puts the Tangerines three points shy of league leaders Wapping with two games left in the season.
The 2nds drew 2-2 with Richmond after Scott Apps scored twice while the 3rds beat Richmond Griffins 2-1 with goals from Apps and Alby Cohen.
The 8ths secured promotion to division 8SW of the East League after Andy Golding scored the only goal in a win over Berkhamsted.
In the ladies’ section, the over-45s won their quarter-final in the England Hockey Plate, beating Letchworth 4-1 with Mary Oswin, Sian Ireland and Benny Anton (two) all firing home for the Tangerines. The 2nds drew 2-2 against Upminster and the 3rds drew 1-1 with local rivals Harpenden with Amy Lynn appearing on the scoresheet for St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
Goals from Nikki Davies and Steph Hurst gave the ladies 4ths a 2-1 victory against Bedford and the Boadiceas won 2-1 against Royston with goals from Benny Anton and Lou Jackman.
The club also honoured Quentin Keeling this weekend for the outstanding achievement of umpiring his 500th match for St Albans. Keeling was presented with an engraved whistle on behalf of the club.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 9 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game