St Albans teen named top man for England
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans teenager has starred for England in a dramatic win over Wales.
Nick Isiekwe picked up the man of the match award in the 27-26 success for the U18s in Aberavon.
England had led 24-14 with less than 10 minutes to go but two quick tries looked like snatching the win for the hosts.
However, with the former Verulamians and Old Albanian man heavily involved in the build-up, replacement fly-half James Grayson kicked a drop goal with the last play to hand England the victory.
Head coach John Fletcher was naturally a happy man at full-time.
Speaking to www.englandrugby.com he said: “It was a good game with both teams showing intention to attack. We always want that approach when we play and when we train.
“The final play showed game awareness and the team just adapted in the moment, they saw an opportunity to drop kick a goal and that is what they did.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 6 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 7 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 8 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 9 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 10 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
“It wasn’t a plan or something we had practiced.”
There was also joy for England Counties, led by Old Albanian head coach James Shanahan, as they defeated their France counterparts 32-3 at Blackheath.
Also involved were Chris May and Matt Miles, both of whom play for the Woollams club.