St Albans Striders tackle the elements as well as the virtual London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
They may not have been classed as elite but St Albans Striders made sure they were still well represented at the virtual London Marathon.
The usual mass participants were asked to create their own carnival atmosphere closer to home and other, smaller events.
Several Striders ran the Dorney Lake Marathon near Windsor, Matt Cooper the first of them home under three hours ahead of Sebastian Rowe, Phil Brindle, Donna Irwin and Peter Blessing.
Others opted for bespoke routes with the Alban Way and its new water hazard the choice for many.
Andrew McKillop also ducked under three hours while Steve Bowran was just 31 seconds outside that.
You may also want to watch:
Kate Dixon, Lucy Jones and Jonathan Bird also ran, the latter featuring briefly on BBC as his Lewisham Hospital team set off, while Laurance Dine chose multiple laps of Ellenbrook Fields.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash