St Albans Striders impress in New York Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Three St Albans Striders took a bite out of the big apple with impressive times in the New York Marathon.
Ian Hirth finished in three hours 15 minutes while Claire Sharp did 3:35. Mark Travers came home in 4:26 meaning he has now completed the ‘marathon majors’ this year; finishing in London, Berlin, Boston, Chicago and Tokyo as well.
Several Striders also competed at the national level, taking part in the National Cross Country relay in Mansfield.
Olly Poulain, James McMurray, Mike Jubb and Paul Durbin brought the men’s team home in 87th position while Megan Steer, Lucy Blake and Gillian Jubb were 61st for the ladies.
Good runs by Antonia Jubb, Lily Tse and Mia Pullen meant the U13 girls’ finished 12th out of 87 teams.
You may also want to watch:
Locally, Richard Harry was 15th in 1:22 in the Stevenage Half Marathon with Mike McClean 73rd and Steve Kennedy 190th.
Deidre Heydecker finished in 1:42 to top her age group and finish third overall in the Herts County Championship.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Doug Hobson finished 34th in the Regents Park 10k.
St Albans Striders meet on a Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Westminster Lodge and all new members are welcome.
Visit www.stalbansstriders.com for more details.