St Albans Striders impress in New York Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Three St Albans Striders took a bite out of the big apple with impressive times in the New York Marathon.
Ian Hirth finished in three hours 15 minutes while Claire Sharp did 3:35. Mark Travers came home in 4:26 meaning he has now completed the ‘marathon majors’ this year; finishing in London, Berlin, Boston, Chicago and Tokyo as well.
Several Striders also competed at the national level, taking part in the National Cross Country relay in Mansfield.
Olly Poulain, James McMurray, Mike Jubb and Paul Durbin brought the men’s team home in 87th position while Megan Steer, Lucy Blake and Gillian Jubb were 61st for the ladies.
Good runs by Antonia Jubb, Lily Tse and Mia Pullen meant the U13 girls’ finished 12th out of 87 teams.
You may also want to watch:
Locally, Richard Harry was 15th in 1:22 in the Stevenage Half Marathon with Mike McClean 73rd and Steve Kennedy 190th.
Deidre Heydecker finished in 1:42 to top her age group and finish third overall in the Herts County Championship.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
Doug Hobson finished 34th in the Regents Park 10k.
St Albans Striders meet on a Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Westminster Lodge and all new members are welcome.
Visit www.stalbansstriders.com for more details.