St Albans Striders impress in New York Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Three St Albans Striders took a bite out of the big apple with impressive times in the New York Marathon.
Ian Hirth finished in three hours 15 minutes while Claire Sharp did 3:35. Mark Travers came home in 4:26 meaning he has now completed the ‘marathon majors’ this year; finishing in London, Berlin, Boston, Chicago and Tokyo as well.
Several Striders also competed at the national level, taking part in the National Cross Country relay in Mansfield.
Olly Poulain, James McMurray, Mike Jubb and Paul Durbin brought the men’s team home in 87th position while Megan Steer, Lucy Blake and Gillian Jubb were 61st for the ladies.
Good runs by Antonia Jubb, Lily Tse and Mia Pullen meant the U13 girls’ finished 12th out of 87 teams.
Locally, Richard Harry was 15th in 1:22 in the Stevenage Half Marathon with Mike McClean 73rd and Steve Kennedy 190th.
Deidre Heydecker finished in 1:42 to top her age group and finish third overall in the Herts County Championship.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 5 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 6 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 7 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Doug Hobson finished 34th in the Regents Park 10k.
St Albans Striders meet on a Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Westminster Lodge and all new members are welcome.
Visit www.stalbansstriders.com for more details.