Sunnier climes for St Albans Striders as they tackle Valencia Marathon
- Credit: Archant
It may have been cold back in Blighty but eight St Albans Striders wouldn’t have known as they enjoyed themselves in the sunshine of Spain.
Steve Buckle led the octet home at the Valencia Marathon with personal bests coming for Gareth Parker, Sebastian Rowe and Mike Martin, all under three hours, and Ruth Kent.
Part of the Striders support band in Valencia, Wendy Walsh was the first female finisher in the previous day's international 5km breakfast run.
Closer to home, 40 Striders competed in the second meeting of the Herts Sunday Cross Country League at Trent Park.
Jonathan Scott, Oliver Knight, Steve Cockrell, Stephen Hosty, Nigel Aston, Derek Fowler, John Reilly and Luke Firmin all scored points for the men while Kathryn Penfold, Helen Cartlidge, Deirdre Heydecker, Kate Tettmar and Rose McGinness did so too for the women.
You may also want to watch:
Scott was Striders' first finisher in ninth overall.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans