Sunnier climes for St Albans Striders as they tackle Valencia Marathon
- Credit: Archant
It may have been cold back in Blighty but eight St Albans Striders wouldn’t have known as they enjoyed themselves in the sunshine of Spain.
Steve Buckle led the octet home at the Valencia Marathon with personal bests coming for Gareth Parker, Sebastian Rowe and Mike Martin, all under three hours, and Ruth Kent.
Part of the Striders support band in Valencia, Wendy Walsh was the first female finisher in the previous day's international 5km breakfast run.
Closer to home, 40 Striders competed in the second meeting of the Herts Sunday Cross Country League at Trent Park.
Jonathan Scott, Oliver Knight, Steve Cockrell, Stephen Hosty, Nigel Aston, Derek Fowler, John Reilly and Luke Firmin all scored points for the men while Kathryn Penfold, Helen Cartlidge, Deirdre Heydecker, Kate Tettmar and Rose McGinness did so too for the women.
You may also want to watch:
Scott was Striders' first finisher in ninth overall.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters