St Albans Striders claim first place at home in Midweek Road Race League
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders revelled in home-field advantage by claiming a hard-fought victory in the second round of the Midweek Road Race League.
Based at Highfield Park, Striders’ women took the win thanks to third, fourth and fifth-placed finishes for Heather Hann, Anna Ward and Rachel Brown.
That was also good enough for second in the women’s vet category.
For the men, there were superb sub-35 minute performances from Phillip Evans and Jonathan Scott to secure third and sixth, guiding the team to second overall and third in the vets.
In total 101 Striders took part, 24 more than any other club, with many more marshalling and volunteering.
You may also want to watch:
The results leave Striders second in the overall standings after two races, a single point behind Orion Harriers.
The third of four races takes place at Trent Park on June 7.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public