St Albans Striders claim first place at home in Midweek Road Race League
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders revelled in home-field advantage by claiming a hard-fought victory in the second round of the Midweek Road Race League.
Based at Highfield Park, Striders’ women took the win thanks to third, fourth and fifth-placed finishes for Heather Hann, Anna Ward and Rachel Brown.
That was also good enough for second in the women’s vet category.
For the men, there were superb sub-35 minute performances from Phillip Evans and Jonathan Scott to secure third and sixth, guiding the team to second overall and third in the vets.
In total 101 Striders took part, 24 more than any other club, with many more marshalling and volunteering.
You may also want to watch:
The results leave Striders second in the overall standings after two races, a single point behind Orion Harriers.
The third of four races takes place at Trent Park on June 7.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land