St Albans Striders dominate in Midweek Road Race League
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders got off to a flying start in the first round of the Midweek Road Race League – coming first in the men’s, women’s and veteran women’s categories.
And the veteran men’s team just missed out on making it a clean-sweep, coming second to North Herts Road Runners.
The Striders went into the event at Highfield Park as current champions and entered over 100 members took part, with plenty more volunteering as marshals along the route to Hatfield using the Alban Way.
Tom Crouch led the way coming first overall in a time of 32 minutes and 46 seconds, followed by Paul Adams in second 26 seconds later.
Sam Rowlands completed the podium places for the club.
You may also want to watch:
For the ladies, Claire Hallissey finished first in 38:29, with Penny Habbick coming seventh in 40:36.
Crouch followed that up by winning the ‘Night of the 10,000 PBs’ track race hosted by Highgate Harriers in London.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 4 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 5 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 6 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
In an exhilarating and well-executed race, he took the lead with only one lap to go, coming home in a club record of 31:52.
In Wheathampstead on Sunday a good number of Striders took part in the 10K race starting out on the Marford playing fields and encompassing many of the challenging trail routes local to the village.
Joe Dunn was the first Strider home, finishing third overall in 36:13.
A double-act of Wendy Walsh and Helen Cartlidge finished in second and third respectively in the women’s race with times of 42:57 and 43:14.
St Albans Striders is a friendly local club catering for all types of runners, meeting at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays by the Westminster Lodge athletics track building.