St Albans Strider Ian Hirth smashes personal best in Great North Run
- Credit: PA
St Albans Striders had several members in action on Tyneside as they took on the Great North Run.
The world’s largest half marathon, which goes from Newcastle-upon-Tyne to South Shields, saw Ian Hirth knock a mammoth six minutes of his personal best to finish in 1:29:42.
Doug Hobson meanwhile overcame injury during the race to cross the line in a very respectable 1:38:02.
Also running for the club were Tony Lillico, Alex McIntyre, Annabel Hulme and Claire Hobson.
Elsewhere Duncan Melsom chose to complete his 100th parkrun in Tring on Saturday morning, finishing the 5km timed run in 29 minutes and 10 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Simpson completed the self-guided Lake District Mountrain Trail race on Sunday in four hours and 12 minutes.
Seb Rowe finished sixth in the Bacchus Half Trail Marathon near Dorking in an impressive 1:31:21 while Nairn McWilliams ran 36:30 at the Stirling 10K.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
And the Striders also competed in the first of the Hatfield 5K autumn race series on the business park.
The ladies team of Wendy Walsh, Amy Tanner and Helen Cartlidge claimed first team prize on the night, which was also a Herts County Championship fixture.
St Albans Striders is a friendly club for all types of runners which meets by the Westminster Lodge athletics track building at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
More info can be found at www.stalbansstriders.com