St Albans set to host European hockey championships
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club searching for volunteers to help on match days
St Albans is set to host one of the most prestigious hockey tournaments on the calendar in August, the Masters European Championships, and the hockey club is looking for volunteers.
Great British hockey is on the up at the moment following the women’s World League gold medal in Valencia, and with it automatic qualification for Rio 2016, and the men’s team’s win over Australia.
The Masters team, made up of players over the age of 40, will try to emulate their younger counterparts when St Albans Hockey Club and Oaklands College host the third European Championships between August 22-28.
Thirty-two international elite men’s Masters teams will represent all four home nations as well as Holland, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Austria and Belgium.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be an opportunity to see some world class international players – and although they are no longer in their prime, the quality of the hockey will nevertheless be at a very high standard,” said Matt Leedham, one of the tournament organizers.
“We are delighted as a club to have been chosen to co-host the event which will run alongside the main European Hockey championships taking part at the Lee Valley Hockey centre this summer.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
Entry to the Masters event at Oaklands will be free and matches will run throughout each day of competition, with the finals day on Friday, August 28.
Whilst the club has received tremendous support from its members, there are still plenty of opportunities for people to volunteer to help during the event itself.
“Anyone who experienced London 2012 will know how the support of volunteers made the whole experience so wonderful,” added Leedham.
“We are very keen to hear from anyone who might want to volunteer to help during the tournament week, especially between August 24-28.
“I would encourage people of all ages to come along and make a difference, meet new people and have some fun.”
For further information on volunteering for the event, contact Leedham at email@example.com