St Albans schoolgirl Jubb adds British triathlon title to growing list of honours
- Credit: Archant
A talented athlete from St Albans is continuing to wow the opposition and collect an impressive haul of trophies and titles.
Fresh from being part of the St Albans Athletics Club squad that won their first South of England team championship, Antonia Jubb has now been crowned the British Schools Triathlon champion.
The Year 8 pupil at St Albans Girls School won the race, which consisted of a 200m swim, a 2.5km bike ride and a 2.3km run, at Mallory Park in Leicestershire.
She started at a furious pace in the swim across the lake at the centre of the motor racing circuit and by the time she climbed out, she was in sixth place.
That got even better as with absolutely no time to dry off, she sprinted through the transition area and when she jumped onto her bike, she had moved up to third place.
The cycling section that followed was a gruelling uphill slog but Jubb breezed through the challenge, keeping her third place as the leaders started the run.
It was at this point that she stepped up a gear and used the ability shown with St Albans AC to power into the lead.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
And she would never be headed again as she crossed the finishing line with a comfortable one minute margin.
She said: “At the end I was in tears and I was so shocked to have come first.
“I think it was honestly the best thing I have ever done in my life.
“I am definitely going to take part again next year. In fact, I can’t wait for it.”
The victory was made even more impressive considering there had a moment of panic both for her and the watching support.
At the end of the running section the course forked, with the route off to the right being the correct one to take.
However, in her exhausted state, Jubb followed the lead bike which had peeled off to the left.
That led to nervous screams from the crowd warning her of her mistake and fortunately she managed to correct the error quickly and cross the line in front.
However, she did reveal that not all her supporters could enjoy those final few moments with her mother being unable to watch.