St Albans School runners top all their US competitors
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans School Cross Country team recorded its greatest win in the Tri State Championships in Washington DC, winning both the Junior and Senior races for the first time.
In the USA all high school races are run over 5km irrespective of age and gender; seven runners from each team take part with the first five counting towards the team score. The school took part in their seeded races, the Varsity race for its top runners and the Junior Varsity for the younger boys.
The Varsity race was won by Robbie Lightowler, who finished 45 seconds ahead of the second-placed runner, and the rest of the team closed well with Adam Thorpe fifth, Ben Clarke seventh, Dan Myers eighth and Alex Cook 12th. They won by 17 clear points.
The depth and quality of the squad was shown in the Junior Varsity race that was won by Tom Fulton, with Ben Hemsi second, Oliver Edmond third and Tom Halling, running a determined last 500m, in fourth place. Tom Alexander completed the winning total, finishing in ninth place, as the team took the title by 23 points.
Headmaster of St Albans School, Jonathan Gillespie, says the resounding success in the field was added to by the excellent hosting by American families.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a thoroughly successful trip that was a great testament to the determination and commitment of our boys and the management of Kenny Everitt, the master in charge of the cross country team,” he said.
The boys topped their incredible running with enjoyable visits to Capitol Hill, The Washington Capitals Ice Hockey and the Smithsonian Museum.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 10 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season