St Albans School clinch District Cup
- Credit: Archant
ST ALBANS School U18s capped a magnificent season by retaining the District Cup, overcoming a dogged Verulam School side 2-1.
The victory was only 24-hours after the same side narrowly missed out on winning the National Independent Schools trophy, going down on penalties after extra-time.
After a goalless first half, the deadlock was broken by Ben Rose who calmly tucked the ball away into the left hand corner for his first goal of the season.
St Albans School then went two up as Freddie Scutt also notched his first goal of the campaign.
With 10 minutes left Verulam pulled a goal back but St Albans held on for victory.
You may also want to watch:
David Forbes-Whitehead, head of football at St Albans School, said: “My players showed great character in winning the District Cup, both in the way that they approached the game and in their determination to overcome Verulam. The coach, Bill Wilson, and I are delighted with the result as a reflection of the strength of football at St Albans School.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans