St Albans School clinch District Cup
- Credit: Archant
ST ALBANS School U18s capped a magnificent season by retaining the District Cup, overcoming a dogged Verulam School side 2-1.
The victory was only 24-hours after the same side narrowly missed out on winning the National Independent Schools trophy, going down on penalties after extra-time.
After a goalless first half, the deadlock was broken by Ben Rose who calmly tucked the ball away into the left hand corner for his first goal of the season.
St Albans School then went two up as Freddie Scutt also notched his first goal of the campaign.
With 10 minutes left Verulam pulled a goal back but St Albans held on for victory.
You may also want to watch:
David Forbes-Whitehead, head of football at St Albans School, said: “My players showed great character in winning the District Cup, both in the way that they approached the game and in their determination to overcome Verulam. The coach, Bill Wilson, and I are delighted with the result as a reflection of the strength of football at St Albans School.”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building