St Albans pushed into a corner as Bognor Regis seal comfortable success

Sam Merson got the only goal for St Albans City as they lost to Bognor Regis Town. Picture: LEIGH PA

Sam Merson got the only goal for St Albans City as they lost to Bognor Regis Town. Picture: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

St Albans City’s frailties at corners were cruelly exposed once again as Bognor Regis Town picked up a 2-1 win at Clarence Park.

Twice in the first half they swung in a corner, and twice they scored.

The first was headed firmly beyond Dean Snedker by Kristian Campbell who timed his run perfectly to evade his marker.

The second just went over the head of Chris Field, who was unmarked, but it found its way to Dan Beck on the edge of the area and his effort found the net although via a number of deflections.

Ian Allinson was furious at both goals and stormed down the tunnel at half-time.

But the goals were in keeping with the form of recent weeks, form that has seen St Albans slip out of the play-off places, and part of the areas that the boss has said needs improved.

This was a performance that promised plenty, but delivered very little.

Most Read

If there was anything positive worth clinging on to it was that Saints were by far the better team in that first period.

They got into numerous good positions and with a little bit of luck and a more energy could have been out of sight.

As it was the one time they did attack the ball, they equalised.

Solomon Sambou got beyond the back four and was found by a nice pass from Zan Banton.

And when he pulled the ball across the face of goal, there was Sam Merson coming in on it at the far post.

And the reaction the City boss would have wanted seemed to be there in the opening minutes after the break.

It culminated in Rhys Murrell-Williamson cutting inside and shooting wide.

But from then the frustrations took over, both on the pitch and in the crowd.

Saints had plenty of the ball, but struggled to fashion a real opening.

And it was the Rocks who almost sealed the game when Ibra Sekajja broke clear with pace, but his curling effort round Snedker when one-on-one slipped millimetres wide.

The City boss was heard calling for a “reaction” and helped by making his three changes.

But it never looked like it was going to make a difference and the one chance they needed, never arrived.

The cheers from the Bognor fans at the final whistle told their own story as the Rocks moved towards safety.

City now turn their attention to the FA Trophy and hopefully the cup can provide solace.

City: Snedker, Herd, Eadie, Noble (Monlouis 73), Kiangebeni, Bender, Murrell-Williamson, Sambou, Merson, Pinney (Walker 78), Banton (Lucien 65)

Subs (not used): Moore-Azille, Russell

Goals: Merson 33

Bognor: Lincoln, Davies, Campbell, Tuck, El Abd, Field, Sekajja, Block, Tigne (Muitt 80), Beck (Whyte 67), Swallow

Subs (not used): Pearce, Lea Scutt

Goals: Campbell 12, Beck 43

HT: St Albans City 1 Bognor Regis Town 2

Attendance: 583

Referee: Ben Cooke