St Albans pair in GB action in World League
- Credit: Archant
Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton of St Albans Hockey Club have featured as Great Britain made a stuttering start to their World League campaign in Rosario.
The pair started on Saturday as GB lost their opening game 2-1 to hosts Argentina and both featured in a frustrating 1-1 draw with China on Sunday.
It leaves the squad in third position in pool B with one game to go.
Macleod came agonisingly close to snatching a win against China but despite her late effort going beyond Chinese goalkeeper Dongxiao Li, it hit team-mate Alex Danson’s stick and deflected away to safety.
Head coach, Danny Kerry, said after the draw with China: “I thought the Chinese goal was just jinxed, the ball just wouldn’t go in.
“A lot of those chances would normally have gone in. We needed just an element of luck.”
“It was a game where we had lots of chances and given how deep China sat, it was always going to take a bit extra.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 4 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 7 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 8 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 9 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 10 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
“I was proud of the team, they stuck at what we had to do and so on the whole I’m pretty pleased.”
Britain’s last pool game against Australia takes place tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5.15pm, UK time.