St Albans pair in GB action in World League
- Credit: Archant
Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton of St Albans Hockey Club have featured as Great Britain made a stuttering start to their World League campaign in Rosario.
The pair started on Saturday as GB lost their opening game 2-1 to hosts Argentina and both featured in a frustrating 1-1 draw with China on Sunday.
It leaves the squad in third position in pool B with one game to go.
Macleod came agonisingly close to snatching a win against China but despite her late effort going beyond Chinese goalkeeper Dongxiao Li, it hit team-mate Alex Danson’s stick and deflected away to safety.
Head coach, Danny Kerry, said after the draw with China: “I thought the Chinese goal was just jinxed, the ball just wouldn’t go in.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of those chances would normally have gone in. We needed just an element of luck.”
“It was a game where we had lots of chances and given how deep China sat, it was always going to take a bit extra.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 6 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
“I was proud of the team, they stuck at what we had to do and so on the whole I’m pretty pleased.”
Britain’s last pool game against Australia takes place tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5.15pm, UK time.