St Albans pair in GB action in World League
- Credit: Archant
Hannah Macleod and Ellie Watton of St Albans Hockey Club have featured as Great Britain made a stuttering start to their World League campaign in Rosario.
The pair started on Saturday as GB lost their opening game 2-1 to hosts Argentina and both featured in a frustrating 1-1 draw with China on Sunday.
It leaves the squad in third position in pool B with one game to go.
Macleod came agonisingly close to snatching a win against China but despite her late effort going beyond Chinese goalkeeper Dongxiao Li, it hit team-mate Alex Danson’s stick and deflected away to safety.
Head coach, Danny Kerry, said after the draw with China: “I thought the Chinese goal was just jinxed, the ball just wouldn’t go in.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of those chances would normally have gone in. We needed just an element of luck.”
“It was a game where we had lots of chances and given how deep China sat, it was always going to take a bit extra.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 A New York state of mind
“I was proud of the team, they stuck at what we had to do and so on the whole I’m pretty pleased.”
Britain’s last pool game against Australia takes place tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5.15pm, UK time.