St Albans netballers triumph
Herts Youth Games success for St Albans side
The St Albans Netball team won at The Hertfordshire Youth games on Saturday.
The girls, who were trained by Abbey Flyers Junior Netball Club, have been working towards this since April starting with trials for over 30 local girls.
All of the girls worked exceptionally hard and went into the games determined to win. They had been drawn in the toughest group with all of last year’s top teams. Their first match was against East Herts last years winners and who beat them in the final so the St. Albans girls were determined to win. They had a slow start and went 2-0 down but then fought back and finally won 4-2.
That set them up for their next match against old rivals Hatfield who they beat 6-2. The next two matches were hard fought but they won both to go through top of their group to meet the runners up in the other group, Broxbourne, in the semi finals.
The girls fought really hard and held it together winning easily. They were then through to the finals against their old rivals East Herts.
The pressure was on but the girls stayed cool. East Herts came out fighting hard and determined to beat us. The score was 4-2 to East Herts with only about four minutes to go when St Albans stepped up to the mark and increased their efforts till the scores were level at 4-4. With only a couple of minutes left nerves were jangling but the girls put everything into it and got the ball to goalshooter Katie Harrall in the circle who coolly netted the fifth goal.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 4 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
East Herts had the centre and got it down into the circle and even after been thwarted numerous times by a storming defence -got a shot at goal but defence Lydia Spooner and Kate Jones seized their opportunity when they missed preventing them from getting the equaliser and the final whistle finally went with St Albans triumphing 5-4. It was a fantastic end to a brilliant day for all the girls, their families and the coaches from Abbey Flyers.