Fast start and strong finish keeps St Albans Ladies in title hunt
- Credit: Archant
A goal in just 26 seconds set St Albans Ladies on their way to a 4-0 win over Garston Ladies 2nds and kept their title charge in Beds & Herts Women’s football League Division One on track.
Kayla Johnson got that one, slamming the ball home after Kerry Twigg’s initial shot was saved.
The second came only five minutes later, Ellen Salter the provider with a wickedly curling cross being smashed into the roof of the net by Molly Slade.
But after the bright start, the goals dried up and it wasn’t until a frantic finish the Slade made it three, lobbing the keeper from 35 yards.
In between Ellie Lovelock had hit the underside of the bar and Carys Baker had a shot cleared off the line.
The Lady Saints finished the match off on 90 minutes with Lovelock sending Salter away for number four.
A similar performance in St Albans’ next match at leaders Northwood on Sunday is absolutely vital.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school