St Albans Ladies pegged back in six-goal thriller with Welwyn Pegasus Sapphires
- Credit: Archant
A late equaliser saw St Albans Ladies grab a draw with Welwyn Pegasus Sapphires at the end of a breathless game of football.
Trailing 3-2 with three minutes to go Jess McNamara laid the ball wide for wing wizard Ellen Salter who promptly darted inside before rounding the keeper and rolling the ball into the unguarded net.
It was probably a fair result with the lead swinging first one way then the other.
Sophie Lawrence had opened the scoring for the Lady Saints, heading home a Kayla Johnson corner, and McNamara added a second shortly after Janiece Allen had drew Pegasus level.
And the Welwyn striker proved a thorn in the Saints’ side as she bagged another two goals to complete her hat-trick before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Johnson had numerous chances as the Saints looked for an equaliser but they had to wait a long time before breathing a sigh of relief.
The result leaves Welwyn top of the Beds & Herts Women’s Football League Division One while St Albans are down in fifth.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25