St Albans Hockey Club the national champions after comfortable win over Redlands
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club have been crowned national champions after a crushing victory in the final.
Played at Nottingham Hockey Centre, the club’s over 45 women beat Redlands 4-0 to lift the Tier One Masters title.
It made up for the disappointment of losing in last year’s final but the performance against Bristol-based side was never likely to end in anything but victory.
They started positively and took the lead on eight minutes with a short corner from Ann-Marie Davenport.
It was 2-0 by half-time, Miche Bloche keeping the defence secure to allow Sian Ireland to score on the right post following an adapted short corner.
You may also want to watch:
The second half began with a more-structured approach and the Tangerines’ resolve was rewarded in the 40th minute when Lou Jackman was fouled in front of goal.
Sarah Embrey calmly slotted the penalty flick and three minutes later Jenny Birch finished the game off.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans