St Albans Hockey Club the national champions after comfortable win over Redlands
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club have been crowned national champions after a crushing victory in the final.
Played at Nottingham Hockey Centre, the club’s over 45 women beat Redlands 4-0 to lift the Tier One Masters title.
It made up for the disappointment of losing in last year’s final but the performance against Bristol-based side was never likely to end in anything but victory.
They started positively and took the lead on eight minutes with a short corner from Ann-Marie Davenport.
It was 2-0 by half-time, Miche Bloche keeping the defence secure to allow Sian Ireland to score on the right post following an adapted short corner.
You may also want to watch:
The second half began with a more-structured approach and the Tangerines’ resolve was rewarded in the 40th minute when Lou Jackman was fouled in front of goal.
Sarah Embrey calmly slotted the penalty flick and three minutes later Jenny Birch finished the game off.
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 Harpenden St George's and Old Albanian well represented in England's Six Nations squad
- 4 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 5 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 6 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- 7 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 8 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 9 When One Direction, Ed Sheeran, The Police and Led Zep played Herts gigs
- 10 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role