St Albans Hockey Club battle to fourth at Olympic Park
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club had a surprising but enjoyable run to the National Mixed Finale Competition – and were delighted with a final position of fourth.
The event was held at the home of hockey in the UK, Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre.
A tough draw meant a 9.30am push back against Repton, who had an average age 10 years younger than Saints, and against a host of talent they succumbed to a 7-1 loss.
It meant another 9.30am start in the third/fourth play-off against Lindum.
Alexis Hamilton levelled with a lob after an early goal against and Matt Street broke away to square for Arman Islam to narrow the gap to 3-2 early in the second half.
Two further goals gave Lindum a 5-2 win but regardless of the results, the squad enjoyed their run in the plate and the opportunity to play on the Olympic pitches.
And they have vowed to be back stronger next year.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area