St Albans Hockey Club battle to fourth at Olympic Park
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club had a surprising but enjoyable run to the National Mixed Finale Competition – and were delighted with a final position of fourth.
The event was held at the home of hockey in the UK, Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre.
A tough draw meant a 9.30am push back against Repton, who had an average age 10 years younger than Saints, and against a host of talent they succumbed to a 7-1 loss.
It meant another 9.30am start in the third/fourth play-off against Lindum.
Alexis Hamilton levelled with a lob after an early goal against and Matt Street broke away to square for Arman Islam to narrow the gap to 3-2 early in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Two further goals gave Lindum a 5-2 win but regardless of the results, the squad enjoyed their run in the plate and the opportunity to play on the Olympic pitches.
And they have vowed to be back stronger next year.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans