St Albans High School impress at Harpenden Tennis Club’s schools’ tournament
- Credit: Archant
Eighty girls travelled from as far afield as London and Kent to compete in Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club’s (HLTC) National Girls Schools Tournament.
And teams from St Albans High School, appearing in each category and including some HLTC members, put in a creditable showing.
In the U14s, Annabel Lowe and Natalie Wagner won a tough first round match over Sevenoaks on the tiebreak only to lose 7-6 7-5 to Queenswood.
Megan Carter and Yasmin Knowles fought hard in the U16s but lost 6-3 7-5 to Berkhamsted in the main draw before powering through two Benenden teams to lift the consolation plate.
U19s Louise Nichols and Lara Willis also took the consolation plate, defeating Benenden in the final.
You may also want to watch:
HLTC member Nichols said: “It’s been a really great tournament. The girls that come here are really good tennis players but really friendly too, and we had a lot of fun.”
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 5 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 6 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 7 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land