St Albans High School impress at Harpenden Tennis Club’s schools’ tournament
- Credit: Archant
Eighty girls travelled from as far afield as London and Kent to compete in Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club’s (HLTC) National Girls Schools Tournament.
And teams from St Albans High School, appearing in each category and including some HLTC members, put in a creditable showing.
In the U14s, Annabel Lowe and Natalie Wagner won a tough first round match over Sevenoaks on the tiebreak only to lose 7-6 7-5 to Queenswood.
Megan Carter and Yasmin Knowles fought hard in the U16s but lost 6-3 7-5 to Berkhamsted in the main draw before powering through two Benenden teams to lift the consolation plate.
U19s Louise Nichols and Lara Willis also took the consolation plate, defeating Benenden in the final.
You may also want to watch:
HLTC member Nichols said: “It’s been a really great tournament. The girls that come here are really good tennis players but really friendly too, and we had a lot of fun.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans