St Albans’ Hannah Macleod bound for Rio Olympics after Great Britain announce hockey squad
- Credit: Photo: Simon Parker
St Albans Hockey club’s Hannah Macleod will be looking to add to her bronze medal – after being selected in Great Britain’s squad for the Rio Olympics.
She is one of eight from London 2012 to return along with Georgie Twigg, Laura Unsworth, Nicola White, Crista Cullen, Alex Danson and Helen and Kate Richardson-Walsh.
The rest of the 16-strong squad will be making their Olympic bow but still have plenty of experience after helping England claim European Championship gold in London last year.
And while not named in the initial squad, there is still hope for Macleod’s Tangerine team-mate Ellie Watton, who has been named as a reserve.
Sally Munday, Chief Operating Officer for Great Britain Hockey said:
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to congratulate all of our athletes who are on their way to Rio for this summer’s Olympic Games.
“Our central programme is exceptionally competitive and I know how hard they have all worked to be selected.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
“Their ambitions certainly do not end here, and I would like to wish them the very best of luck this summer.
“I would also like to record my thanks to those who narrowly missed out.
“As a team sport, building team unity while vying for selection is a challenge and the professionalism of all the players in the GB programme is exceptional.”
Giselle Ansley, Sophie Bray, Crista Cullen, Alex Danson, Maddie Hinch, Hannah Macleod, Shona McCallin, Lily Owsley, Sam Quek, Helen Richardson-Walsh, Kate Richardson-Walsh, Susannah Townsend, Georgie Twigg, Laura Unsworth, Hollie Webb, Nicola White.
Joanna Leigh, Ellie Watton, Kirsty Mackay.