St Albans goalkeeper vying for pro contract
- Credit: Archant
GOALKEEPER Haydn Dodge reckons the experience of playing for England Students has set him up to make the transition to pro.
The 20-year-old, of Park Street, St Albans, has entered Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract competition in the hope of signing for either Swindon Town, Leyton Orient or Wycombe Wanderers.
Haydn, who plays for Hitchin Town FC in the Calor League, said: “Playing for my university, I was scouted by the manager of the England Students.
“I already had a lot of semi-pro experience, and matches against Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland Students added to that.
“In a way football has given me an income while I have been studying law but I need to go all the way.
You may also want to watch:
“The Samsung competition seems like a great chance. I need to jump that final hurdle.”
For the first time since Win A Pro Contract was launched in 2010, there are three professional contracts on offer as Wycombe Wanderers join Samsung’s existing partnerships with Swindon Town and Leyton Orient.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
Amateur players of all abilities can enter the competition and this year three winners will earn one-year professional contracts – one at each Football League club.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and 11-a-side matches as they bid to kick-start their dreams of becoming a professional footballer.
Last year’s winners, Jack Sherratt and Kayden Jackson, signed for Leyton Orient and Swindon Town respectively, and are hoping to make first-team debuts this season.
Registration for Samsung Win A Pro Contract 2013/14 closes on Monday September 16. Entrants must be 17 years of age by June 30, 2014.
To sign up, please go to www.facebook.com/samsungfootball