St Albans goalkeeper vying for pro contract
- Credit: Archant
GOALKEEPER Haydn Dodge reckons the experience of playing for England Students has set him up to make the transition to pro.
The 20-year-old, of Park Street, St Albans, has entered Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract competition in the hope of signing for either Swindon Town, Leyton Orient or Wycombe Wanderers.
Haydn, who plays for Hitchin Town FC in the Calor League, said: “Playing for my university, I was scouted by the manager of the England Students.
“I already had a lot of semi-pro experience, and matches against Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland Students added to that.
“In a way football has given me an income while I have been studying law but I need to go all the way.
“The Samsung competition seems like a great chance. I need to jump that final hurdle.”
For the first time since Win A Pro Contract was launched in 2010, there are three professional contracts on offer as Wycombe Wanderers join Samsung’s existing partnerships with Swindon Town and Leyton Orient.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 3 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 4 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 5 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 6 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 10 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
Amateur players of all abilities can enter the competition and this year three winners will earn one-year professional contracts – one at each Football League club.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and 11-a-side matches as they bid to kick-start their dreams of becoming a professional footballer.
Last year’s winners, Jack Sherratt and Kayden Jackson, signed for Leyton Orient and Swindon Town respectively, and are hoping to make first-team debuts this season.
Registration for Samsung Win A Pro Contract 2013/14 closes on Monday September 16. Entrants must be 17 years of age by June 30, 2014.
To sign up, please go to www.facebook.com/samsungfootball