St Albans goalkeeper vying for pro contract
- Credit: Archant
GOALKEEPER Haydn Dodge reckons the experience of playing for England Students has set him up to make the transition to pro.
The 20-year-old, of Park Street, St Albans, has entered Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract competition in the hope of signing for either Swindon Town, Leyton Orient or Wycombe Wanderers.
Haydn, who plays for Hitchin Town FC in the Calor League, said: “Playing for my university, I was scouted by the manager of the England Students.
“I already had a lot of semi-pro experience, and matches against Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland Students added to that.
“In a way football has given me an income while I have been studying law but I need to go all the way.
“The Samsung competition seems like a great chance. I need to jump that final hurdle.”
For the first time since Win A Pro Contract was launched in 2010, there are three professional contracts on offer as Wycombe Wanderers join Samsung’s existing partnerships with Swindon Town and Leyton Orient.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 8 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
Amateur players of all abilities can enter the competition and this year three winners will earn one-year professional contracts – one at each Football League club.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and 11-a-side matches as they bid to kick-start their dreams of becoming a professional footballer.
Last year’s winners, Jack Sherratt and Kayden Jackson, signed for Leyton Orient and Swindon Town respectively, and are hoping to make first-team debuts this season.
Registration for Samsung Win A Pro Contract 2013/14 closes on Monday September 16. Entrants must be 17 years of age by June 30, 2014.
To sign up, please go to www.facebook.com/samsungfootball