St Albans florists’ mark Olympic Torch Relay
SUPPORT for this weekend’s torch relay through St Albans is blossoming, with a local businesswoman showing that when it comes to floral tributes, she packs flower power.
Donna Roche, manager of Florabunda, has used the medium of vegetation to express her backing of torchbearers and to welcome the thousands expected to line streets through the centre of St Albans on Sunday.
She explained that the florist shop on Hatfield Road, part of the relay route, had created Olympic-style torches with candlesticks, lilies, gerberas, shamrock and chrysanths.
There is also a GB sign, made from bear grass, conifer foliage and salal leaves painted in Union Jack colours.
At the bottom of the window display are cupcake cases filled with miniature red, white and blue flower arrangements.
Donna said: “It’s bit like Blue Peter really.”
She will watch the relay along Hatfield Road from the top of the shop.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star