St Albans Croquet Club complete successful season with Secretary’s Shield win
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Croquet Club completed a hugely successful season by claiming the Croquet Association Secretary’s Shield.
They had qualified for the tournament by winning the East Anglian Chairman's Cup last season and their route to the final saw them beat York, Sheffield and Kington Langley.
Awaiting them in Kenilworth were Chester, the north-west regional champions.
The St Albans team, consisting of Chris Frost, Heather Bennett, Stephen Mills and Stuart Stafford, played two singles matches and a doubles in the morning session and thanks to wins for Bennett in the singles and Frost and Stafford in the doubles, they lead 2-1 at lunch.
The four afternoon singles matches were all close but Stafford closed out his match first and Frost's win gave them the winning point.
Mills also won as St Albans finished with a 5-2 success.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 4 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 8 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition