St Albans Croquet Club complete successful season with Secretary’s Shield win
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Croquet Club completed a hugely successful season by claiming the Croquet Association Secretary’s Shield.
They had qualified for the tournament by winning the East Anglian Chairman's Cup last season and their route to the final saw them beat York, Sheffield and Kington Langley.
Awaiting them in Kenilworth were Chester, the north-west regional champions.
The St Albans team, consisting of Chris Frost, Heather Bennett, Stephen Mills and Stuart Stafford, played two singles matches and a doubles in the morning session and thanks to wins for Bennett in the singles and Frost and Stafford in the doubles, they lead 2-1 at lunch.
The four afternoon singles matches were all close but Stafford closed out his match first and Frost's win gave them the winning point.
You may also want to watch:
Mills also won as St Albans finished with a 5-2 success.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans