Holders St Albans knocked out of croquet's Longman Cup by High Wycombe
- Credit: ST ALBANS CROQUET CLUB
St Albans Croquet Club's defence of the Longman Cup came to an end in a repeat of the delayed 2020 final.
Then they had triumphed against High Wycombe but the Buckinghamshire club gained revenge with a 3-2 success.
Saints lost the opening doubles but Roger Bowman’s first game was a repeat of the crucial match in the final, and it went a similar way; Bowman hanging on after pulling out to an early lead.
It meant the contest was poised nicely going into the three singles.
The first two were shared, Bowman winning again, but Stephen Mills lost and in the crucial rubber, Stuart Stafford's early lead was wiped out by a 10-hoop break from Wycombe as they clinched progress to the quarter finals.
This year the Croquet Association has teamed up with the British Heart Foundation as part of National Croquet Week, which starts on Monday, and St Albans will be running an open session on Thursday evening, July 29, and Sunday morning, August 1.
Go to the St Albans Croquet Club's website or Facebook page for more details.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests