St Albans Croquet Club continue charge towards national success
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Croquet Club continued their unbeaten run with progression to two national finals.
Having won the Herts & Beds League, Saints secured victory in the quarter-final of the Longman Cup, to progress to the finals weekend next month, and the semi-final of the Secretary's Shield.
After victories over East Dorset and Bath, the team of Chris Frost, Stephen Mills, Roger Bowman and Stuart Stafford disposed of Guildford with a 7-0 success at Wrest Park in the Longman Cup.
That involved wins in all singles and doubles matches.
It was a much closer affair in the Secretary's Shield for the quartet of Mills, Stafford, Jon Palin and Geoff Morrison at Kington Langley in Wiltshire.
You may also want to watch:
The contest could have gone either way but Morrison took the vital point for a 4-3 win.
That sets up a clash with Chester as St Albans look to win the shield for the first time since 2000.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 9 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game