St Albans City set for Effiong tribunal
PUBLISHED: 09:03 04 August 2011
Saints want compensation for striker
ST ALBANS City and Boreham Wood look set to be heading for a Football Association (FA) tribunal in a bid to determine the level of compensation the Saints are entitled to for the services of striker Inih Effiong.
The striker, who scored 15 goals last year, was offered terms of re-engagement by the Saints at the end of the season and as the player is under the age of 24 they are entitled to compensation under FA regulations.
Effiong has played, against St Albans’ wishes, in several friendlies for Wood and netted twice in their 2-2 draw with Hemel Hempstead on Tuesday evening but the Saints’ Herts rivals are yet to make a bid for the player despite lodging a contract that the player has signed with the FA.
The Saints reacted by releasing a club statement on their website on Wednesday afternoon which read: “The player (Effiong) began training with Farnborough Town [sic], who conducted themselves correctly and contacted St Albans City FC. Acceptable compensation was amicably agreed between the two clubs.
“We have now had it confirmed, however, that the player has signed for Boreham Wood FC.
“Not having received an offer of compensation for the player, we have now taken the decision to report the matter to the Football Association and we expect a tribunal to be established that will rule on the level of compensation that St Albans City FC is owed.”
On the pitch assistant manager Ken Charlery believes the playing squad is not too far away from being ready for the start of the new Southern Premier Division campaign.
Charlery took charge of the Saints for Tuesday’s friendly with Peterborough as manager David Howell was attending a wedding in New York, and speaking after the 4-1 defeat Charlery said he felt they were just a couple of additions away from having a squad capable of meeting their objectives this season.
“It was a strong side and I wanted to put a strong side out to give them a good work out,” explained Charlery.
“First half we didn’t look at the races. Peterborough had a young side down and passed the ball around and moved quite well but as we got going – eventually – we looked a little bit better and a little bit sharper.
“Second half we made one change and that seemed to make a big difference.
“I’m a bit disappointed with the scoreline but in the bigger picture we’re getting there. We’ve got the basis of a squad that we want with a couple more additions here and there we’re not far off.”
The change Charlery aluded to was the introduction of James Bent who scored City’s goal against Posh.
The Penzance front man has signed on for the Saints this season along with goalkeeper Nick Jupp and Charlery is deligthed with the latest additions to the squad.
“Me and Dave have been trying to get Nick all summer,” he said.
“He’s got Uni and he’s going to China tomorrow (to take part in the World Student Games) so it’s a massive plus for us to have a great ‘keeper behind us in the backline.”
He added: “Benty was with Harrow a couple of years ago, he always scores goals and he’s a versatile player. He can play anywhere across the front; right wing, left wing, up front and he can also play right-back, believe it or not, so that makes it two good signings today.”
City head to Colney Heath tonight (Thursday, KO 7pm) before travelling to Potters Bar on Saturday where Charlery will be charged with running the rule over another set of trialists looking to earn a deal at Clarence Park.
“On Saturday, against Potters Bar it’s going to be more trialists unfortunately. Even though it would have been nice to play a stronger side again just to get a win and a bit of confidence going into the following week.
“But with Potters Bar’s pitch not being as flat and as comfortable as our one here the risk factor to ankles and bits and pieces means the safer bet is playing a weaker side and obviously looking at other trialists who are coming thick and fast.”