St Albans City one step closer to Wembley after FA Trophy success at Whitehawk

PUBLISHED: 18:20 16 December 2017 | UPDATED: 18:20 16 December 2017

Zane Banton scored for St Albans City against Whitehawk in the FA Trophy. Picture: LEIGH PAGE

Zane Banton scored for St Albans City against Whitehawk in the FA Trophy. Picture: LEIGH PAGE


Goals from Zane Banton and Kieran Monlouis gave St Albans City a 2-1 win away to Whitehawk and sent them into the last 32 of the FA Trophy.

Banton struck after 16 minutes to put City ahead and although Ky Marsh-Brown levelled shortly after the interval, Monlouis sent Saints through with the winner on the hour.

St Albans had a decent start but failed to test the home keeper until Banton latched on to a superb through ball and fired home.

Neither side were able to get a firm grasp though for the first 45 minutes although the hosts came flying out of the blocks in the secind period.

And they got a deserved equaliser.

A cross was headed away but only as far as Marsh-Brown and he thumped it from the edge of the area into the top corner.

But then out of nothing the Saints retook the lead.

Solomon Sambou put in a cross which was headed back across goal from Tom Bender and swept in by Monlouis.

Banton had a glorious chance shortly after but struck the post and Sam Merson fired into the side netting as City looked for a third.

But Whitehawk had chances of their own and it was with relief that the final whistle went.

The draw for the second round, which will be nationalised and not split north and south, will be on Monday.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser