St Albans City frustrated as FA Cup tie is called off

PUBLISHED: 19:55 22 September 2018 | UPDATED: 19:55 22 September 2018

The FA Cup stands on display (pic: Mike Egerton/PA)

The FA Cup stands on display (pic: Mike Egerton/PA)

PA Wire/PA Images

St Albans City were left frustrated after their FA Cup second qualifying round tie against Whyteleafe was postponed.

Ian Allinson’s National League South were due to welcome the Bostik League South outfit to Clarence Park on Saturday, but were told the tie had been called off due to an ongoing FA charge against their opponents.

Saints club secretary Tom Norman said in an official statement: “Unfortunately at 1.30pm this afternoon we received confirmation that the game has been postponed. We would like to apologise to all of our supporters for the short notice however the situation was completely out of our control as Whyteleafe’s personal appeal was at midday today.

“As the disciplinary matter is still ongoing it’s unclear when we will be playing our second qualifying round match, as soon as we receive confirmation we will make a statement.”

Allinson’s men are set to return to league action with a trip to Chelmsford City next Saturday (September 29).

Both sides have 16 points from their first 10 matches, but Chelmsford are in eighth place just above Saints due to a superior goal difference record.

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser